Friday, September 26, 2008

Modifying a custom bracelet to make it longer


This is a multi-strand bracelet fashioned out of sterling silver. Amethyst, lapis, rough sapphire, Tibetan quartz crystals, freshwater pearls, abalone and sterling pieces make up the "charms" of the bracelet.

This bracelet was commissioned by my brother for his girlfriend. He gave me a budget and then let me design the piece according to what I already know about her style.

It didn't take long at all for the design of the piece to come together. I knew right away that I would be working with deep blue and purple hues. She has blue eyes that seem to verge on indigo to me. She favors deep hues in her dress.

There is a very oceanic quality to the piece, deep inky water under a waning moon.

When she got the bracelet, it turned out that it was not quite long enough. A charm bracelet needs to have a little space and movement on the wrist. And Amber is a little bigger boned than I. So I had to make it longer in such a way that it would be integrated into the design of the bracelet without looking "added onto". This is the piece as it was originally designed:


I decided to to lengthen it with the same materials out of which the dangles of the bracelet had been made. The pearl had to be drilled to make the hole bigger to accommodate the 22 gauge wire. Then I put the nice Tibetan quartz crystal on the other side. Then so that the links transition well with the rest of the design of the bracelet, I added the respective rough sapphire and amethyst dangles at each side.

No comments: